Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Run Down

I've been under the weather the past few days. Runny nose, cloudy head, achy body, the works.  I haven't really been hungry for much of anything which doesn't bode well for trying to write a blog post about food and cooking. The only two things that could possibly help me is lots of sleep and this recipe for my own version of chicken noodle soup.  It's ridiculously easy which is why even in my weakened state that I can still manage to put it on the stove.  With just the first bite of chicken/lemon goodness along with the salty flavor of the parmesan, I know that I am on the mend.  The hint of green makes me feel good too, like I'm eating my vegetables, but you can leave it out if you don't have any chives on hand.  Since I only make this magical concoction when I am truly in need of sustenance for my sickly body, I never thought about doubling or even quadrupling the recipe for a quick family dinner.  I suppose, that might be a good idea. 
 
 


 
 
Orzo in Chicken Broth
(serves one)
 
 
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup orzo
juice from 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon chopped chives
1-2 dashes Tabasco sauce
black pepper
 
 
Pour the chicken broth into a medium sized saucepan and bring to a boil.  Add orzo and cook for 11 minutes until just soft. Remove from heat.  Add lemon juice, grated parmesan, chopped chives and Tabasco.  Pour into a soup bowl.  Generously season with fresh black pepper.  Enjoy with a box of tissues.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy...but it should be made by Mummy. You can put in an order when you are sick!

    ReplyDelete